What Do You Need?
I have a pretty stock list of questions I ask about your needs on the lathe
- let me know your answers and we'll try to put together some package options.
- What is the largest diameter
work you will need to turn on the lathe?
- What is the length of that largest diameter part?
- What is the smallest diameter
work you will turn on the lathe?
- What is the longest length you
will need to turn on the lathe (Taig max. 9" but 5.5" max carriage travel in one pass.)?
- Will you be cutting short tapers
on the workpiece (using the #1200 top slide, or offsetting the tailstock)?
- Will you be using taps and dies
to cut threads on parts turned on the lathe? (This is the only way to make
threads on the Taig.)?
- What size drills will you be
using (min/max dia.)?
- Do you want drill chucks for
those size drills, or do you already have one or more (Taig uses common
3/8-24 thread mount)?
- What materials (brass, steel,
plastic, etc.) will you be turning on the lathe?
- What are the shapes you want
to chuck? rounds, hexes, squares, rectangular, and freeform shapes all have
different chucking options.
- Do you want to buy the motor Taig sells? Or will you be supplying a 1/8
to 1/3 h.p. motor yourself?
length belt do you want? 12.5" (motor mounted to the side, 1024
mounting board, not recommended) or 20" (motor mounted behind, 1023
- Will you want the mounting board
and motor bracket Taig sells or do you choose to make your own mounting
- Will you want to have the ability
to do milling & drilling of workpieces mounted on the crosslide &
- Do you have a bench grinder
for sharpening bits?
- Do you want preground bits?
- Are you comfortable assembling
the kit version of the lathe or do you want the fully assembled version?
- Do you want the optional power feed version?
- About how much do you want to
spend on the lathe?
- What machinist tools do you
currently own (micrometers, dial indicators, etc.) and what machining experience
do you have?
- What do you plan on doing with
the lathe (model steam engines, small instrument parts, maintenance, etc.)?
For the mill:
- What is the maximum size piece that you will make on the mill X"
x Y" x Z" ?
- Will you be using the mill for drilling holes?
- Will you be converting to CNC is the near future, do you want the CNC version?
- If you want the CNC version what CAD and CAM programs will you be using?
- Do You have a lathe, and what manufacturer?
- Will you want end mills, and what size?
Back to the Taig page